Like regular oil changes in your car or yearly check-ups at the doctor, preventative home maintenance is essential to maintain your home’s property value. Dividing up the maintenance tasks by season spreads out the costs and keeps things more manageable. We recommend hiring a licensed professional if any of the upkeep goes beyond your skill level.
No need to feel overwhelmed by the following list. Essential Home Maintenance (EHM) can customize a schedule for your home using an online digital format. We will set up a maintenance schedule pertinent to your home that will send out reminders when a task is due. We include appliance warranty information, “How to” descriptions and we will even upload a list of our vetted contractors. After your home is set up you can choose to manage your own home maintenance or work with EHM to manage it for you.
FALL Maintenance Checklist
- Conduct a general inspection of the interior and exterior of your home. There are many available inspection checklists online you can utilize and customize to fit your home.
- Roof maintenance, check if any shingles are cracked or curled up on the edges and loose nails. Check for mold or algae. Make sure all areas are waterproofed and sealed up. Replace caulking or mortar around a chimney, electrical boxes, and plumbing. Observe the frayed or cracking conduit that needs replacing.
- Remove leaves and debris from gutters and downspouts
- Heating system have a licensed HVAC company service and maintain your heating system.
- Inspect, clean, and maintain your fireplace by a licensed professional
- Seal cracks and gaps around plumbing and wires, windows and doors with caulk or weather stripping
- Fix any interior and squeaky exterior doors, loose handles, and locks.
- Seal exterior wall hairline cracks using a latex and silicone caulking or sanded caulk. Any gaps larger than a hairline, we recommend calling an expert.
- Power-wash windows and siding
- Repair cracks in the driveway or walkway
- Descale and maintain the hot water tank
- Replace the batteries in the smoke and carbon monoxide detectors
- Clean window tracks and door screens
- Clean slider tracks using a vacuum. We then recommend using a “Fast Orange Hand Cleaner” on a moist cotton cloth to clean, seal and lubricate the tracks.
- Vacuum lint from underneath the front/back of your dryer using a flexible cleaning attachment. Read dryer manufacturer instructions.
- Check the interior and exterior for frayed cords and wires that need replacing
- Change irrigation timer settings
- Clean the dishwasher filter and arm sprayer, see dishwasher manufacturer instructions. Add cleaning pod to empty dishwasher and run a cycle.
Would you like help with a custom full-year home maintenance plan?
📷 – Todd Kent